History of Lagomarcino Hall
Read about the most recent change, featuring a $5.7 million renovation of the north end of Lago Hall bringing in more natural light, increasing meeting spaces and buidling a stronger sense of community, done in March of 2015.
In 1862, Congress passed the Morrill Act, which led to the creation of landgrant institutions, including Iowa State. Landgrant colleges were mandated by federal legislation to prepare agricultural and vocational secondary school teachers.
Iowa State’s first president, Adonijah Welch, created a professorship in the "science and art of teaching" in 1868. Many believe that Iowa State was the first U.S. institution to offer ongoing teacher education courses as part of a four year bachelor's degree program.
Among the early departments at Iowa State were Agricultural Education (established in 1911), Vocational Education (1919), Physical Culture for Women (later called Physical Education for Women), Home Economics Vocational Education (1924), and Physical Education for Men (1924). In 1930, the Department of Child Development was added; from this department would eventually spring a major in Elementary Education.
In 1935, the head of vocational education assumed the additional title of "Director of Teacher Training." The Teacher Education Committee was established by 1960.
Virgil Lagomarcino was named Director of Teacher Education and Chair of the Teacher Education faculty in 1961. Iowa State President W. Robert Parks and Lagomarcino sparked changes that eventually led to the establishment of the College of Education in 1968. The College was the first new major academic division to be established at Iowa State in more than 50 years. Lagomarcino served as dean of the College from 1968 until he retired in 1990.
The first four administrative units in the new College of Education were Secondary Education, Elementary Education, Professional Studies in Education (later renamed Educational Leadership and Policy Studies), and Industrial Education. These units became departments in 1973.
Also in 1973, the Department of Physical Education for Women moved from the College of Home Economics to the College of Education and the Department of Physical Education for Men moved from the College of Science and Humanities to the College of Education. In 1974, the men's and women's physical education departments were consolidated.
In 1981, the College of Education moved into its current home in the newly remodeled Quadrangle. The building was later named Lagomarcino Hall, in honor of the founding dean.