All TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAMS EXCLUDING Candidates in Placements in DHS licensed child care settings
Students must complete a complete background check (state and national) prior to participating in any practicum teaching experience. The results of the background check must be received by Iowa State University BEFORE the practicum experience begins.
The background check will be completed through CastleBranch – a background check company. The fee is $48.00. You will go online to complete the background check process.
- Go to CastleBranch.
- Click on “Place Order.”
- Complete the requested steps - please use your ISU email when asked for one.
- Complete the online order process.
- View additional requirements to complete your background check within the MyCB Account.
- Download the required abuse forms and follow the instruction provided to complete all necessary fields properly, including signature and date.
- Upload the completed, signed, and dated form to requirement.
*When filling out the Authorization for Release of Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Information form please save it to your hard drive prior to filling out the form. If form does not properly display try a different browser. Chrome is a recommendation.
If you have a previous charge (other than a parking ticket or a speeding ticket), you will also need to complete a Self-Report process.
Self-Reporting Previous Charges: Initial Background Check
When completing an initial background check, any criminal misconduct charges (any charges other than parking tickets or speeding tickets) must be reported to the Licensure Coordinator in Teacher Education Services by completing a self-report form. Failure to report a charge could result in possible discharge from the ISU Teacher Education Program.
Before completing the form, please set up a time to meet with the Licensure Coordinator, Teresa Kahler (firstname.lastname@example.org). DO NOT complete the Self-Report Form prior to talking with Teresa Kahler. If you do not yet have access to TK20 please fill out this word document in place of the online form and send it to Teresa.
Once you have talked with Teresa Kahler, follow these steps to complete the Self-Report Form.
Go to http://iastate.tk20.com
- Log in using your NetID and Password
- Re-enter your NetID and Password when cued to do so
How do I access the Self-Report Form?
- Click on “Applications” on the left menu bar.
- Click on the green “Create New Application” button.
- From the drop-down menu, select the application you want to complete. You will need to complete:
- Self-Report Form
- Once you choose the application you want to complete, click “Next.”
- Complete the Self-Report by answering ALL of the questions on the form.
- If you need to stop before your application is complete, click “Save” at the bottom of the form and then click “Close” at the bottom of the form.
- When the application is complete, click the green “SUBMIT” button at the bottom of the form. You cannot make any changes to the application once you SUBMIT the application.
Regarding Self-Report Form: please contact Teresa Kahler at email@example.com.
Regarding Tk20, please contact Heidi Doellinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Self-Reporting New Charges:
Once a valid background check is on file, any subsequent criminal misconduct charges (other than parking tickets or speeding tickets) received must be reported to the Licensure Coordinator in Teacher Education Services by completing the self report form on Tk20. Failure to report a criminal misconduct charge may result in dismissal from the Iowa State Univeristy’s teacher education program.
If you are enrolled in any course that has a field experience component, any new criminal misconduct charges (any charges other than parking tickets or speeding tickets) must be reported to the Licensure Coordinator in Teacher Education Services with a self-report form within 72 hours after the incident. Failure to report a charge within this time period will result in failing the field experience and possible discharge from the ISU Teacher Education Program.
If you are not enrolled in courses with a field experience component, any new criminal misconduct charges (any charges other than parking or speeding tickets) must be report to the Licensure Coordinator in Teacher Education Services with a self-report form within 5 days after the incident. Failure to report a charge within this time period will result in being suspended from any field experiences for 1 semester and possible dismissal from the Iowa State University’s Teacher Education program.
When an incident has been self-reported, participation in the field experience is allowed based on the original record check. An arrest without disposition is not an indication of guilt.
Coaching or Substitute Authorization
If you have a current (valid) coaching or substitute authorization, submit a copy to 133 MacKay. You will not have to complete the Background Check process described above.