Faculty and Staff Directory » Evrim BaranView Directory | Update Profile
Title: Associate Professor
Department: School of Education
Office: 0624b Lagomarcino 901 Stange Rd., Ames, IA 50011
Phone number: +1 515 294 5287
I am an associate professor of educational technology in the School of Education and Human-Computer Interaction at Iowa State University. My scholarship converges the disciplines of educational technology, human computer interaction, and learning sciences to answer complex problems in today’s learning environments. My research aims to establish effective strategies for the design of mobile, online, and flxible learning environments in teacher education, engineering education, and STEM learning contexts. I have directed international grants and research projects on mobile/online learning, K-12 engineering, STEM education, TPACK, and teacher/faculty professional development. I teach courses on online learning, evaluating digital learning environments, and instructional design.
Ph.D., Curriculum and Instructional Technology and Human Computer Interaction, Iowa State University, 2011
M.S., Curriculum and Instruction, Middle East Technical University, 2006
B.S., Computer Education and Instructional Technology, Minor: Industrial Design, Middle East Technical University, 2003
- Multimodal investigation of technology-enhanced learning environments: The new wave of technological innovations such as wearable sensors and eye trackers enable educational researchers combine data from physical classroom activities and physiological responses with more traditional educational data. My recent research uses multimodal methods for developing and tracking teacher knowledge and behavior in technology enhanced STEM and engineering classrooms.
- Design, development, and evaluation of online learning: My recent work on online learning and teaching focuses on the implementation of open pedagogy as an approach to empower learners in the co-creation of the course content and help them contribute to the body of knowledge they learn.
- Technology enhanced teacher education strategies: I investigate the impact of teacher education strategies on pre-service and inservice teachers' knowledge of effective technology integration.
- Outstanding International Research Collaboration Award (2020), AERA TICL SIG-Research Team Evrim Baran-USA, Jo Tondeur-Belgium, Ronny Scherer-Norway, Fazilat Siddiq-Norway
- Best Paper Award (2016), Educational Technology World Conference
- Young Researcher Award (2016, 2017), Middle East Technical University
- Early Career Scholar Award (2015), American Educational Research Association (AERA) Technology as an Agent for Change in Teaching and Learning (TACTL) Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Best Paper Award (2014), American Education Research Association (AERA) Design and Technology Special Interest Group
- Distance Education Best Journal Article Award – Qualitative-based (2013), Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) Information Age Publishing (IAP)
- Outstanding Paper Award (2011), Ed-Media-World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications
- Research Excellence Award (2011), Iowa State University
- Teaching Excellence Award (2011), Iowa State University
- AECT-ECT Foundation Cochran Intern National Award (2009), Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- Outstanding Paper Award (2009), Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference
- Baran, E., & AlZoubi, D. (In Press). Affordances, Challenges, and Impact of Open Pedagogy: Examining Students’ Voices. Distance Education.
- Mesutoglu, C., & Baran, E. (In Press). Integration of engineering into K-12 education: A systematic review of teacher professional development programs. Research in Science & Technological Education.
- Baran, E., AlZoubi, D., & Jovanovic, B. (in press). Implementing open pedagogy in higher education: Examples and recommendations. Handbook for Digital, Mobile and Open Learning. Springer.
- Baran, E., Altan, T., & Uygun, E. (In press). Usability testing as a method for exploring the pedagogical affordances of mobile apps with preservice teachers. In K. Burden & A. Naylor (Eds), Transforming Teacher Education with Mobile Technologies. Bloomsbury Publishing.
- Mesutoglu, C., & Baran, E. (2020). Examining the development of middle school science teachers’ understanding of engineering design process. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. DOI: 10.1007/s10763-019-10041-0
- Tondeur, J., Scherer, R., Siddiq, F., & Baran, E. (2019). Enhancing preservice teachers’ technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): A mixed method study. Educational Technology Research & Development.
- Baran, E., Canbazoglu-Bilici, S., Mesutoglu, C., & Ocak, C. (2019). Investigating the impact of an out-of-school STEM education program on students’ attitudes towards STEM and STEM careers. School Science and Mathematics.
- Tondeur, J. , Scherer, R. , Baran, E. , Siddiq, F. , Valtonen, T, & Sointu, E. (2019). Teacher educators as gatekeepers: Preparing the next generation of teachers for technology integration in education. British Journal of Educational Technology. doi:10.1111/bjet.12748
- Baran, E., Canbazoglu Bilici, S., Albayrak Sari, A., & Tondeur, J. (2019). Investigating the impact of teacher education strategies on preservice teachers’ TPACK. British Journal of Educational Technology, 50(1), 357-370.
- Ocak, C., & Baran, E. (2019). Observing the indicators of technological pedagogical content knowledge in science classrooms: A video-based research. Journal of Research on Technology in Education.
- Alemdag, E., Cevikbas, S., & Baran, E. (2019). The design, implementation and evaluation of a professional development programme to support teachers’ technology integration in a public education centre. Studies in Continuing Education.
- Baran, E. (2018). Professional development for online and mobile learning: Promoting teachers’ pedagogical inquiry. In J. Voogt, G. Knezek, R. Christensen, K. Lai (Eds). International Handbook of Information Technology in Primary and Secondary Education. Springer.
- Donmez, M., Dogan, S., & Baran, E. (2018). How signaling principle affects learning: An eye tracking study. Mersin University Journal of the Faculty of Education, 14(2), 700-713.
- Scherer, R., Tondeur, J., Siddiq, F., & Baran, E. (2018). The importance of attitudes toward technology for pre-service teachers’ technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge: Comparing structural equation modelling approaches. Computers in Human Behavior, 80, 67–80.
- Celik, S., Baran, E., & Sert, O. (2018). The affordances of mobile-app supported teacher observation. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning, 10(2), 36–49.
- Tondeur, J., Scherer, R., Siddiq, F., & Baran, E. (2017). A comprehensive investigation of TPACK within pre–service teachers’ ICT profiles: Mind the gap! Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 33(3), 46–60.
- Baran, E., Uygun, E., & Altan, T. (2017). Examining Preservice Teachers’ Criteria for Evaluating Educational Mobile Apps. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 54(8), 1117–1141.
- Baran, E., & Correia, A. P. (2016). What motivates examplary online teachers? In J. M. Spector, B. B. Lockee, & M. D. Childress (Eds), Learning, Design, and Technology. An International Compendium of Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
- Baran, E. (2016). Examining the benefits of a faculty technology mentoring program on graduate students’ professional development. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 32(3), 95–104.
- Baran, E., & Uygun, E. (2016). Putting technological, technological, and content knowledge (TPACK) in action: An integrated TPACK-design-based learning (DBL) approach. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 32(2), 47–63.
- Baran, E. (2016). Investigating faculty technology mentoring as a professional development model: A case study. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 28, 45–71.
- Baran, E., Canbazoglu Bilici, S., Mesutoglu, C., & Ocak, C. (2016). Moving STEM beyond schools: Students’ perceptions about an out-of-school STEM education program. International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology, 4(1). 9–19.
- Baran, E. (2016). Ogretim Teknojilerinde Yeni Egilimler ve Yaklasimlar [New Trends and Approaches in Instructional Technologies]. In K. Cagiltay & Y. Goktas (Eds), Ogretim Teknolojilerinin Temelleri: Teoriler, Arastirmalar, Egilimler [The Turkish Handbook of Instructional Technologies, 2nd edition] (pp. 567–581). Ankara: Pegem
- Baran, E., Canbazoglu Bilici, S., & Uygun, E. (2016). Investigating the impact of a Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)-based professional development program on science teachers’ TPACK. In M. C. Herring, M. J. Koehler & P. Mishra (Eds.), Handbook of technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for educators 2nd ed. (pp. 271-283). New York and London: Routledge.
- Baran, E., Canbazoglu Bilici, S., Mesutoglu, C. (2015). Fen, teknoloji, muhendislik ve matematik (FETEMM) spotu gelistirme etkinligi [Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) public service announcement development activity]. Arastirma Temelli Etkinlik Dergisi [Journal of Inquiry Based Activities], 5(2), 60–69
- Baran, E., & Canbazoglu Bilici, S. (2015). Teknolojik pedagojik alan bilgisi (TPAB) uzerine alanyazin iÌ‡ncelemesi: Turkiye ornegi [A review of the research on technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK): The case of Turkey]. Hacettepe Universitesi Egitim Fakultesi Dergisi [H. U. Journal of Education], 30(1), 15–32.
- Baran, E. (2014). A review of research on mobile learning in teacher education. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 17(4), 17–32.
- Baran E., & Correia A. P. (2014). A professional development framework for online teaching. TechTrends, 58(5), 96–102.
- Baran, E., & Khan, S. (2014). Going mobile – Science teacher candidates evaluating mobile apps. In C. Miller & A. Doering (Eds), The New Landscape of Mobile Learning: Redesigning Education in an App-based World (pp. 258–275), New York and London: Routledge.
- Baran, E., Correia, A. P., & Thompson, A. (2013). Tracing successful online teaching in higher education: Voices of exemplary online teachers. Teachers College Record, 115(3). 1–41. [AECT IAP Distance Education Best Journal Article Award – Qualitative-based.]
- Baran, E. (2013). Connect, participate and learn: Transforming pedagogies in higher education. IEEE Bulletin of the Technical Committee on Learning Technology, 15(1), 9–12.
- Baran, E., Correia, A. P., & Thompson, A. (2011). Transforming online teaching practice: Critical analysis of the literature on the roles and competencies of online teachers. Distance Education, 32(3), 421–439.
- Baran, E., Hsueh-Hua C., & Thompson, A. (2011). TPACK: An emerging research and development tool for teacher educators. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 10(4). 370–377.
- Correia, A. P., & Baran, E. (2010). Lessons learned on facilitating asynchronous discussions for online learning. Educação, Formação & Tecnologias, 3(1), 59–67.
- Baran E., & Correia, A. P. (2009). Student-led facilitation strategies in online discussions. Distance Education, 30(1), 339–361.
- Schmidt, D. A., Baran, E., Thompson A. D., Koehler, M. J., Mishra, P., & Shin, T. (2009). Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK): The development and validation of an assessment instrument for preservice teachers. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 42(2), 123–149. [Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2009 Outstanding Paper Award]
- Karpova, E., Correia, A. P., & Baran, E. (2009). Learn to use and use to learn: Technology in virtual collaboration experience. The Internet and Higher Education, 12(1), 45–52.
- (2019-2020) PI, Miller Faculty Fellowship, “Video Enhanced Mobile Observation (VEO M-Observe): Mobile-App Supported Peer Observation and Feedback Pedagogy for Enhancing Preservice Teachers’ Reflective Practice” (CoPI: EunJin Bahng (SOE)
- (2019-2020) PI, College of Human Sciences, Innovative Teaching Initiative, “Create, Design, and Innovate Design Thinking and Entrepreneurship in Learning Technologies” (CoPIs: Denise Schmidt (SOE), Seda McKilligan (Design), Judi Eyles (Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship).
- (2019-2020) CoPI, Miller Open Education Mini-Grant, “Creating an Open Wikibook for the Aquatic Toxicology Graduate Course” (PI: Boris Jovanovic (NREM)
Personal Web Page
Research Gate Profile
Google Scholar Profile