Faculty and Staff Directory » Janice FriedelView Directory | Update Profile
Title: Associate Professor
Department: School of Education
Office: 2680 Lagomarcino 901 Stange Rd, Ames, IA 50011
Phone number: +1 515 294 4719
Dr. Janice Friedel, Associate Professor, joined the faculty in the Educational Policy and Leadership Studies Department of College of Human Sciences at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa in August 2011, after serving three years as professor in the community college doctoral cohort program at California State University Northridge, CA.
Dr. Friedel has 28 years of experience in community colleges in Iowa and Kentucky. She has served in a variety of executive level community college positions in Iowa and Kentucky, including the community college presidency, and as the state administrator for a system of community colleges and the state director for career and technical (vocational) education for secondary and post-secondary education. Other administrative experience at the community college include vice chancellor of academic affairs and planning for a multi-college community college district, director of curriculum development and program evaluation, and dean of community and continuing education. Dr. Friedel is past chair of the National Council of State Directors of Community Colleges, and past Member of the Executive Board of the National State Directors for Career and Technical Education. A native of Iowa, she earned her Doctorate of Philosophy, masters and bachelor’s degrees all from the University of Iowa. She has had post- graduate fellowships in women’s studies at Stanford University, women’s studies at the University of Michigan through the Great Lakes Colleges Association, and economics education at the University of Scranton. More recently, Dr. Friedel served on the planning committee for the USDE sponsored National Community College Summit, held in July 2009. She has participated in the AACC Presidents Academy, AACC National Leadership Development Program, and the League for Innovation Executive Leadership Program. In 1990, she was one of 45 Americans selected as a Fellow in the Kellogg National Fellowship Program.
Publications include over forty articles, books and chapters on program evaluation, labor market assessments, environmental scanning, strategic planning, the community college mission, workforce development, the role of community colleges in high school reform, and the economic benefits of attending the community college. In 2006, she edited the book Forty Years of Growth and Achievement; a History of Iowa’s Community Colleges, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Iowa’s community colleges. Dr. Friedel is currently serving on the board of the National Council for Family Literacy (Louisville, KY), and in April 2010 she was elected to serve a three - year term on the board of the national Council for the Study of Community Colleges, an affiliate council of the American Association of Community Colleges. Her current research interests center on higher education public policy, community college leadership development, the community college mission and governance, career and technical education, the economic benefits of community college attendance, and dual/concurrent enrollment.
- Friedel, J.N., (Ed.) (2006).Forty Years of Growth and Achievement: a History of Iowa’s Community Colleges by Jeremy Varner. Des Moines, IA, Iowa Department of Education, 114 pages.
- Friedel, J. & Ovel, S. (Sept., 2011). Financial Innovation: The Iowa Case Study - General Obligation Bonds as an Alternative Funding Source for Community College Economic and Workforce Development. In Sutin, S.E., Derrico, D., Raby, R.I., & Valeau E.J.(Eds) Increasing Effectiveness of the Community College Financial Model: A Global Perspective for the Global Economy. Palgrave Macmillan International and Developmental Education Book Series, 193-204. (Peer reviewed)
- Friedel, J. ( 2010, Oct.). What Does it all Mean? Uncertain Recovery: Access and Funding Issues in Public Higher Education. Findings from the 2010 Survey of the National Council of State Directors of Community Colleges. University of Alabama, Educational Policy Center. 7-11.
- Friedel, J.N. (2010, Spring). University-based Community College Leadership Programs: Where Future College Leaders are Prepared. In Wallin D. (Ed.) Leadership in an Era of Change: Context and Competencies, New Directions for Community Colleges, 149, San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass, 51-58. Article published. (Peer-reviewed)
- Friedel, J.N. (2008.) The Impact of the Workforce Development Mission on Community College Governance. In McCloud, R.C. & Kater, S. (Eds.) New Directions for Community Colleges: Governance in the Community College. (pp 45-55). N. 141 San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass.(Peer-reviewed)
- Hughes, K.L. Karp, M.K. Bunting, D. & Friedel, J.N. (2005). Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit: It’s Role in Career Pathways, In Dull Hull (Ed)
- Career Pathways: Education with a Purpose (pp 227-256), Waco, TX: CORD Communications.
- Friedel, J.N. ((1999), Iowa. In Tollefson, T.A., Garrett, R.L., Ingram. W.G. (Eds.) Fifty State Systems of Community Colleges: Mission, Governance, Funding and Accountability (pp. 167-178). Johnson City, TN: Overmountain Press.
- Friedel, J.N & Lapin, J.D. (1995). Environmental Scanning Practices for Rural Colleges, In Killacky, J., & Valadez, J.R. (Eds.) Portrait of the Rural Community College, (pp 65-71), San Francisco, Ca: Jossey Bass.(Peer-reviewed).
- Friedel, J. N. (2011). Where has Vocational Education Gone? The Impact of Federal Legislation on the Expectations, Design, and Function of Vocational Education as reflected in the Reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006. American Educational History Journal, 38 (1) 37-54.
- Friedel, J. (2010). Where has Vocational Education Gone? the Impact of federal legislation on the expectations, design and function of vocational education as reflected in the reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006, Paper presented at the 2010 OEH Annual Conference and submitted for consideration to the American Educational History Journal (AEHJ), December, 2010. (Peer-reviewed).
- Friedel, J. (2010). The Nursing Crisis in Iowa: the Convergence of Trends and Policy. American Technical Education Association (ATEA) Journal, spring, 2010, 37 (2), 24-25. (Peer-reviewed).
- Friedel, J.N. (2010). Engines of Economic Development: the Origins and of Iowa’s Comprehensive Community Colleges. American Educational History Journal (AEHJ), 37(1), 207-220. (Peer-reviewed).
- Li, Jinyi, Friedel, J & Rusche, P. Examining Practical Relevance of the Coursework of Doctoral Leadership Programs. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 35(1), 3-17. (Peer-reviewed).
- Katsinas, S. & Friedel, J. (2010, April). Access Threatened: A Comparison of the 2003 and 2009 Recessions, The 2010 Proceedings, The National Center for the Study of Collective Bargaining in Higher Education and the Professions. Also available at www.hunter.cuny.edu/ncscbhep
- Laanan, F.S., Starobin, S.S., Compton, J. I. & Friedel, J.N., (2009. Assessing Post - college Earnings of Career and Technical Students in Iowa Community Colleges.Enrollment Management Journal, winter 2009, 68-94.(Peer-reviewed).
- Laanan, F.S., Compton, J., and Friedel, J.N. (2006). The Role of Career and Technical Education in Iowa. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 30(4), 293-310.(Peer-reviewed)
- Ebbers, L.N., Wild L.L., & Friedel, J.N. (2003). Determining Community College Workforce Needs: Process Suggestions and Policy Issues. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 27(3), 225-238.(Peer-reviewed).
- Friedel, J. N. & Rosenberg, D.C. (1993). “Environmental Scanning Practices in Junior, Technical, and Community Colleges.” The Community College Review, 20(5), 15-66.(Peer-reviewed).
- Friedel, J. & Oliver, T. (2010).Community College Career and Technical Leadership for the 21st Century, .California Community Colleges Association of Career and Technical Educators,October 27, 2010, Anaheim, CA. Peer reviewed paper.
- Li, Jinyi & Friedel, J. (2010). The Integration of the AACC Competencies in University Doctoral Leadership Programs. California Association of Professors of Educational Administration (CAPEA), fall, 2010 Conference, October 1, 2010, Pomona, CA> Peer reviewed paper.
- Friedel, J. (2010). Where has vocational education gone? The impact of federal legislation as reflected in the reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006. Organization of Educational Historians 2010 Annual Conference, September 17-19, 2010, Chicago, IL.Peer reviewed paper.
- Friedel, J. & Katsinas, S. (2010). Recent Research on State Community College Finance and Access Issues, Annual Summer Meeting of the National Association of State Directors of Community Colleges, July 28, 2010.
- Friedel, J.N., Velas, C & Payan, J. (2010). The Nursing Pipeline: What the Facts Don’t Tell Us - Iowa and California as Case Studies. Presentation at the American Technical Education Association 47th National Conference on Technical Education, April 7 -9, 2010, Indianapolis, IN. Peer reviewed paper.
- Friedel, J.N. & Ceja M. (2009, October). What Community College Leaders Need to Know: Customizing a doctoral leadership program for community colleges. Paper presented at the California Association of Professors of Educational Administration (CAPEA), October 17, 2009, Los Angeles, CA. (Peer reviewed)
- Friedel, J. N. (2009, Sept). Engines for Economic Development: the Origins and Evolution of Iowa’s Comprehensive Community Colleges. Paper presented at the Organization of Educational Historians (OEH) Annual Meeting, Sept. 18-19, 2009, Chicago, Ill. (Refereed)
- Friedel, J. N., Falconetti, a. & Floyd, D. L. (2009, March). The Role of the California Community Colleges in Baccalaureate Delivery. Presentation at the annual international conference of the Community College Baccalaureate Association, March 13-15, 2009. Las Vegas, NV.
- Friedel, J. N.(2009, March). Health Care Programs: Under the Magnifying Glass of State Public Policy Makers. Presentation at the annual national conference of the American Technical Education Association, March 11-13, 2009, Chattanooga, TN.
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- Association for Career and Technical Education Research (ACTER)
- Council for the Study of Community Colleges (CSCC)
- Organization of Educational Historians (OEH)
- Society for History Education
- Association for Institutional Research (AIR)
- California Association for Institutional Research (CAIR)
- Iowa Educational Research and Evaluation Association (IEREA)
- California Community Colleges Association for Occupational Education (CCAOE)
- California Professors of Educational Administration (CAPEA)
- American Technical Education Association (ATEA)
- Pi Lambda Theta, Delta Kappa Chapter