Faculty and Staff Directory » Katherine BrunaView Directory | Update Profile
Title: Associate Professor
Department: School of Education
Office: E115b Lagomarcino 901 Stange Rd, Ames, IA 50011
Phone number: +1 515 294 4144
- multiculturalism and multilingualism in schools and society
- university-school-community partnerships
- community engagement scholarship
- education in demographically-transitioning communities
- teacher education and professional development for cultural and linguistic diversity and equity
- socio-academic identity formation for US Mexican youth
- critical ethnography
- discourse analysis
- cultural studies of science education
Ph.D. -- Education, University of California, Davis. Davis,CA. September, 2002. Specialization in Sociocultural Studies with Designated Emphases in Critical & Feminist Theory.
Dissertation: Manufacturing Dissent: The New Economy of Power Relations in Multicultural Teacher Education.
M.A. -- Linguistics, University of California, Davis. Davis, CA. 1994. Teaching English as a Second Language Specialization.
B.A. -- Hispanic Studies, Vassar College. Poughkeepsie, NY. 1988. Distinguished Thesis: El Realismo y El Naturalismo en La Regenta de Clarin.
- 08/2015-Present, Principal Investigator, Young Scientists, Ambitious Teachers Improving Health in an Urban Ecosystem, National Institutes of Health Science Education Partnership Award (R25OD020213)
- 01/2015-Present, Founding Director/Professor-in-Charge, ISU 4U Promise, Iowa State University
- 06/2009-Present, Associate Professor, School of Education, Iowa State University
- 08/2003-06/2009, Assistant Professor, School of Education, Iowa State University
- 01/2001-01/2003, Research Scientist, Evaluation of the California Professional Development Institutes for English Learners, Education and Human Development Division, American Institutes for Research, Palo Alto, CA.
- 01/1997-01/1999, Field Experience Superviser, Teacher Education Program, University of California, Davis & Department of Bilingual and Multicultural Education, California State University, Sacramento01/1990-01/1991, Billingual Instructional Aide, Elkhorn Village Elementary School, West Sacramento, California.
- 01/1988-01/1989, Program Coordinator, Center for the Study of Human Rights, Columbia University