Admission into the Educator Preparation Program is the first step in completing your teacher education.
Students must have:
- A minimum of 9 credits hours at Iowa State University with a 2.5 cumulative grade-point-average (GPA).
- Note: Student must maintain 2.5 cumulative GPA throughout the program in order to continue through the program
- Praxis Core exam scores with a minimum of 156 in reading, 162 in writing, and 150 in mathematics. Graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants may use the GRE with minimum scores of 146 verbal and 144 on quantitative in place of Praxis.
- Documented completion of an Iowa State University-approved 10 hours of pre-student teaching field experience.
- A minimum of a “C” in all curriculum and instruction (C I), human development and family studies (HD FS), special education (SP ED) courses and all content-specific pedagogy/methods courses required for licensure.
- A minimum of a “C-” in all major department courses/content courses required for teacher licensure (content coursework).
- This is for courses taken from fall 2007 and after.
- A current Iowa criminal background check report confirmed by ISU’s licensure coordinator.
Timing and deadlines
Students must be admitted into the program to be able to register for certain courses, to participate in field experiences/practicums and to student teach. Admission to the Educator Preparation Program is on a rolling basis (anytime throughout the year, including the summer). Allow up to 4 weeks for processing.
The ideal time to apply to the program is at the end of freshman year. This allows secondary education candidates to register for courses such as CI 280A, CI 406, and CI 426 and ECE/elementary education candidates to register for Block I and practica courses.
Ready to apply to the EPP?
Complete the EPP admission application in Tk20.