- Complete the online graduate application.
- Note: If you have not previously been admitted to the Graduate College at Iowa State University, you must complete the online graduate application through the Iowa State Admissions office. Please disregard any application acceptance dates that may be listed on the Iowa State University-wide admissions site and continue with your application as prompted through their website.
- Note: If you have previously been admitted to the Graduate College at Iowa State University, do not complete an online graduate application. Instead, please fill out Section I of the “request to transfer from one major/program/department to another” form and submit this form, along with the below required application materials, directly to the graduate support specialist.
- For math applicants only: Compose up to a 500-word statement that you may enter on page 4 of your online graduate application or you may also upload this statement as a separate document to your online graduate application. Your statement of intent should address your:
- Goal(s) or purpose in pursuing an advanced degree
- Reason for selecting the School of Education for graduate work
- Professional background
- Areas of interest in education
- Long-term professional goals.
- For science M.A.T applicants only: You do not need to compose the above personal statement. Instead, please answer the following two prompts:
- Why do you want to be a science teacher and what experiences have led you to this decision?
- What do you consider to be a current issue affecting education and what role can science teaching play in addressing this issue?
- Upload your current resume to your online graduate application.
- Identify three references who will provide you letters of support. At least one letter should be from a faculty member at a college of university who can speak to your potential for success as a graduate student. Letters of support should address the applicant’s written and oral communication skills, aptitude for advanced study, creative talent, and potential for a successful career.
On your online graduate application, you will have the opportunity to enter the names and email addresses of your three references. If you choose the option of using the online process, your references will be emailed a form to fill out once you have submitted your online graduate application. Once your reference has completed the form and submitted it, it will automatically upload to your online graduate application. If you choose not to use the online process on the online graduate application, please have your references fill out this form and email it directly to the graduate support specialist.
- GRE scores are required to apply for the M.A.T. in science education for secondary teacher licensure or the M.Ed. in math education for secondary teacher licensure. To be eligible for consideration, you must receive a minimum score of 146 verbal and 144 quantitative. Official GRE results are sent electronically by the Educational Testing Service. Our school code is 6306. No department codes are required. Your scores will be uploaded to your online graduate application file once ISU has received them.
- Order your official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended. If you have earned a degree at Iowa State, you do not need to order those transcripts because these will already be on file. These should be sent to:
Office of Admissions
100 Enrollment Services Ctr.
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-2011
- International applicants only: A TOEFL score of at least 83 or an IELTS score of at least 6.5 is required for consideration for admission to the School of Education. Please upload your official TOEFL or IELTS score report to your online graduate application.