If you have a bachelor’s degree in mathematics or closely related field and want to teach math to students in grades 5-12, our Master’s of Education with a recommendation for mathematics licensure is just for you. In this program, you can become a licensed teacher in approximately 15 months through our accelerated program.
Mathematics content requirements
The State of Iowa requires the following mathematics requirements to grant a license for grades 5-12 mathematics teachers:
- 2-course sequence in calculus
- 1 course in abstract or linear algebra
- 1 course in post-calculus geometry
- 1 course in probability or statistics
- 1 course in computer programming
- Coursework in discrete mathematics
Our program is designed for those candidates whose undergraduate degree included a good number of the courses above. You must have at least a total 24 credit hours in mathematics courses with a minimum grade of C- in each.